Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Do you want cheese? Yes, please!

I bought some nutritional yeast during my last trip to Whole Foods.

I have been fascinated with this ingredient for a while. I have seen it used in a lot of different recipes. The whole idea about being able to enjoy cheese sauce without the cheese? Count me in. 

The steamed broccoli waiting for the cheese sauce.
First thing - I made a roux. I put a pat of butter in a sauce pan on low/medium heat. I added in a handful of flour and let it cook for a while (don't let it brown). Then a couple of splashes of milk and then the nutritional yeast.

The mixture was a bit thick at this point so I added in some white wine and a small amount of water. 

When the sauce was smooth and glossy looking I poured it over the broccoli.









The sauce had a slightly cheddar taste and was very smooth and creamy. A great substitute for cheese sauce in my opinion. I am eager to try it on air popped popcorn!

I also had an apple, a banana and three clementine oranges.

It has definitely been a day of odd eating - but my stomach is happy.

See everyone tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. whoa that looks like real cheese sauce! i'm kinda intimidated by nutritional yeast!

    ReplyDelete