Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's all about the dough

Since I had such a light breakfast, I was really hungry by the time lunch rolled around.

The banging has been non-stop making it impossible to concentrate. Another good excuse for procrastinating!

I had that newly found bag of flour sitting in the fridge so I decided to make some dough - Pizza dough :-)

The dry ingredients: 2 1/2 cups of flour + 2 3/4 tsp. of baking soda.
I found a recipe for a yeast free pizza dough here - not because I have anything against yeast - I just didn't have any in the house.

1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 1/2 cup of water mixed in.
I kneaded the dough for about 5 min. but it wasn't looking quite right.




I added in another Tbsp. of olive oil and it started looking a bit better.




Then I tore off enough dough for a single serving size pizza.




I rolled out the dough.


A little olive oil on top.
Pizza 1: spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, basil and oregano.


Mozzarella, parmesean and a sprinkle of basil on top.
I used the cooking instructions I found here. Which I now realize are intended for store bought pizzas - probably not the best choice.




After 15 minutes in a 375 degree oven, it came out over cooked and dry :-(


Pizza 2:


Olive oil and parsley.
I thinly sliced a potato.




Salt and pepper.
Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil on top.

This time I cooked it for only 12 minutes - then I moved it to the lowest rack in the oven and let it cook under a high broiler setting for 2 minutes.


A very pretty pizza!
Pizza 2 turned out great. The crust was slightly crunchy with the dough cooked to perfection. 


The broiler did the trick with the potatoes - they were tender with the edges just turning crispy.





I enjoyed Pizza 2 with a small side salad of baby greens with a fat-free raspberry balsamic dressing and an apple.




My conclusion on the dough experiment? It turned out fine but not great. I think I will go with a recipe that uses yeast next time.


The dogs got a choice between Pizza 1 and Pizza 2 - they both choice to enjoy a small bite of Pizza 2.


Yup, my dogs have good taste :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment