Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Miso porridge

This morning I decided to try Lynn Chen's (Actor's Diet) suggestion about rice porridge being soothing on the tummy.

Thanks for the suggestion Lynn!

I started my concoction with this:

 
A big hunk of ginger and miso. I put 1/2 cup of brown rice into a pan with about 2 cups of water. I threw in the big hunk of ginger for an extra stomach soothing ingredient. I let it simmer until the rice broke down and became mushy. 

Then I added in 3-4 Tbsp. of miso and continued to let it cook on low heat until most of the water was absorbed. You can eat it as soon as the rice breaks down and it has a more soupy consistency but I wanted a heartier kind of porridge.

The rice came out smooth and slightly gooey and very soothing.  I added some dried seaweed (wakame) on top.





In hindsight - I should have used a smaller knob of ginger because it did come out with a slightly bitter taste. But, surprisingly, the bitterness did not upset my stomach and for the first time in 2 days I feel pleasantly full.

I hope everyone is having a nice lazy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. yay! glad it worked out. looks a lot better than the stuff my mom made me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn, that recipe idea definitely pushed me over the edge to stomach recovery!

    ReplyDelete