Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tomato tartlets

I have long been obsessed with tomato tartlets.

One of my favorite restaurants used to have them on the menu as an appetizer. Imagine my horror when one day I sat down anticipating my favorite dish, only to find that they had taken it off the menu.

Today, I started a project to try and recreate this dearly missed dish.

Tomato tartlet with cheddar cheese.
 I decided to make the simplest form of the recipe - using just the ingredients I knew were in the dish.

Ignore the anchovies - they are for the dogs version :-)
 The stars of the show:

Canned plum tomatoes and sharp cheddar cheese.
Puff pastry cut into rounds and then gently patted into the wells.


Plum tomatoes with most of the liquid drained off.


Shredded cheese.

I placed a small amount of cheese in the pastry (hoping this would keep it from getting too soggy).



Then I put the tomatoes on top.



And then some extra cheese to cover. Into the oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.


Hot out of the oven.







 Did they turn out perfect? No.

Was it a good first try? Definitely.

I think I needed to add more tomato. The puff pastry was right, along with the cheddar cheese.

Adding in a pinch of salt and pepper to the tomatoes would have improved it, I think.

I am cooking the dogs version now - I will get that posted tonight :-)

1 comment: