Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Stuffed shells of love

For those of you without a special someone on this day - I propose that you be your own valentine!

I consulted with my valentine (me!) and I decided I wanted to celebrate my first day of having a happy tummy. The best way to do this? Gooey, cheesy and satisfying stuffed shells.



I started by browning some of the turkey sausage for the dogs.


Then into the same pan I put some chopped onion. When the onion became translucent, I tossed in some garlic.

Then I put in two of the turkey sausages (removed from the casing) and let them brown.



Then the tomatoes entered the picture.



The sun-dried tomato paste adds a hint of sweetness and a nice depth of flavor to the sauce.

And, on a whim, I decided mushrooms would be a good idea.


While I was putting the sauce together, the pasta shells were busy bubbling away on the stove.

I undercooked them - about 3 minutes short of al dente.

While the sauce simmered away I made the filling for the shells.



Ricotta, one egg, Parmesan and parsley.

Then I lined the bottom of an oven safe pan with some of the sauce.



Time to stuff the shells.


The light was getting away from me. Believe me when I say the sauce was not that dark red color.



Then I covered the shells with the rest of the sauce.


Then everything got covered in pieces of mozzarella (for the gooey factor) and Parmesan.





Into a 350 degree oven for 20 -25 minutes.

Hot out of the oven!



Did I forget the dogs? Of course not!






They enjoyed nuggets of sausage sitting in Orecchiette pasta (they are these adorable little pasta disks) on a bed pureed tomatoes. No mozzarella for the dogs because too much cheese does not agree with their stomachs. But they did get a light dusting of Parmesan.


One more beauty shot of the shells:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment