Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Tomato soup and arch nemeses

We had a very pleasant walk until dogs spotted their arch nemeses!

Abby spots them!
 Dun, dun, dunnnnn...


The local bad boys, oops, I mean birds.
This are two of the hooligans that make up the huge local flock of crows.


And from the way these guys swagger, taunt and bully - I can totally see why a group of crows is called a 'murder'.

They love to hop along the sidewalk, just out of reach of the dogs (who are always on leash) and when the dogs can't stand it anymore they jump at them -



The birds hop up onto the fence and give the dogs the stink eye and scream bird profanities.


For lunch, I decided to use up the leftover tomatoes I had in the fridge.




But first, I roasted some garlic.


Cut the top off of a clove of garlic.


Drizzle with olive oil.
Wrap in tinfoil and put it on a sheet pan or muffin tin and pop into a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.




I squeezed the cooked cloves out of their jackets and mushed with a fork in the bottom of sauce pan.


In went the tin of tomatoes along with 2 tsp. of dried basil.


I simmered the tomatoes until I could smell the garlic and basil. I gave it a taste and realized it needed some sweetening. 


2 Tbsp. of honey went into the pan and 1 tsp. of goat cheese - just because.


While that simmered away I realized I needed to use up these:


Leftover puff pastry.

I know! Open-faced puff pastry grill cheese sandwiches. Wow, that is a mouthful to say.






One almost went missing.

Cook for 3 minutes under a low broiler or until the cheese has melted.






Garnish with a sprinkle of basil and some goat cheese.









They are working on the roof today - Oh, happy days!


The dogs are starting to get worried with all of the extremely loud stomping overhead. I think we may go visit a neighbor to get a reprieve from the cacophony.

1 comment:

  1. oh man my dogs bark at crows all day long in my backyard. yikes

    ReplyDelete