Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Movies and a second attempt

Today I went to see this:


I know everyone has been raving about this movie. Was it enjoyable? Yes. Was the acting superb? Yes. 

But for me, in the end, I left with the feeling of, "Meh, not a horrible way to spend a couple of hours." I wasn't blown away. It could just be that no movie could measure up after hearing all the rave reviews - or it could have just been the subject matter. 

I did spend a bit of time wondering what "tricks" Wallis Simpson had picked up that caused a king to abdicate his thrown. I think that bit of information would be handy to know.

When I got home I decided to be brave and make another attempt at creating a recipe that included sardine - after all I did have the sad, lonely sardine fillet sitting in a Tupperware container in the fridge.

I didn't take any pictures of the dish in process. I was rushing through it so I wouldn't dwell on the fact that a sardine was an ingredient. 

It came out looking like this:





Pasta with sardine

Serves 1

1 large sardine fillet
1 shallot
2 cloves of garlic
1 pinch of basil
1/2 a cup of jarred spaghetti sauce
2 tsp of olive oil
1 portion of spaghetti cooked al dente

Put a sautee pan on low heat and add in the olive oil. Chop the shallot fine and add to the pan. When the shallot becomes translucent add in the garlic and cook another 5 minutes.

Mash the sardine fillet (I mashed it so that it was impossible to tell what it was). Add the 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce to the pan along with the mashed sardine. Let this mixture cook down until it is a thick sauce.

Add in the cooked pasta and toss till everything is warmed through.


Was this the best dish ever? No. Did I eat a good portion of it and manage to take the first step to incorporating sardines into my diet? YES!

The concentrated sauce did a good job of masking any fishy taste but I am still having trouble with the whole - tiny bones - texture issue. 


Oh, well, one step at a time I guess :-)

1 comment: