Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

A different kind of morning

I woke up hungry this morning.

Which is a good thing. As I strive to eat well and keep my portion sizes small I am slowly finding the right balance between nutrition and calories.

What I am surprised about lately? I am finding it difficult to truly pay attention to my bodies signals without having the mindset, "I want this but I should be having this." 

This is what I wanted this morning.
Steamed broccoli, carrot, potato with marinated smoked salmon.
I woke up with the intent on having oatmeal but when entered the kitchen the idea of oatmeal was completely unappealing.


My stomach just wanted this.




And lately, I have come to realize that if I actually listen to my stomach a strange thing happens. I may end up having 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter and tons of fruit for lunch instead of the healthy salad I had planned. But to my surprise I am full and satisfied much longer.

It seems my body wanted Potassium (potato) and antioxidants (broccoli and carrot) and some omega-3 (the salmon).

I chopped up some smoked salmon and marinated it in a few drops of dark sesame oil and some soy sauce.

Chopped smoked salmon marinated in sesame oil and soy sauce.
I steamed a bunch of broccoli florets, 1 medium potato and 1 carrot.

When the vegetables were fork tender I transferred them to a bowl. I drizzled them with soy sauce and sprinkled some coconut butter over all.

Then the marinated smoked salmon went on top.


But wait! There is more:

The dogs enjoyed the marinated smoked salmon over strips of nori.



Abby was in heaven :-)


So, a breakfast not to everyone's taste but I will tell you that was delicious!

I liked the slightly grainy texture of the coconut butter with the soy sauce and sesame oil. I used to steer away from using oils but now I use them in small amounts and it really makes a difference!

Here's hoping that everyone has President's Day off!

1 comment: