Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

When life gives you a stomach ache - make miso soup

The asparagus was a little too hard on my tender tummy.

For dinner I opted for liquid sustenance. 



First I made dashi. 3 cups of water into a soup pot. Add in one piece of kombu (about the size of a deck of cards) and let the pot come up to a boil. When the water begins to boil - pull out the kombu and throw in a handful of bonito flakes. Let it come back up to a boil and then pull it off the heat. 

I let it steep for 20 minutes and then strained out the bonito flakes. I put the strained broth back on the burner on low heat and stirred in 3 Tbsp. of miso. Be careful to whisk/stir it in well or you will end up with a sludge of miso on the bottom of the pan.





I will admit that although I added some chopped scallions for the photograph - I fished them out before I drank the soup - I didn't want to risk eating the onions with the delicate state of my stomach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment