Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Massaman curry with eggplant and potato

It was a beautiful day for a walk.

Signs of spring!

Connor looks surprised by the tree - Abby is completely unimpressed.


When I got home I was craving eggplant for some reason - and curry. And yes, I agree that is an odd combination.

Chinese eggplant, Massaman curry, yukon gold potato and coconut milk.
Note: I have seen various ways of spelling this curry paste - Mussaman, Masaman and Massaman *shrug*.

I cubed up the potato and eggplant.



I put 2 Tbsp. of grape seed oil in a pan and threw in the eggplant and potato chunks.

I stirred in 2 tsp. of the curry paste and 1/2 tsp. of chopped garlic.
I sauteed it over medium heat until the eggplant began to release the oil it had absorbed.  I discarded the extra oil and then added 1/2  can of coconut milk.

Everything continued to simmer for another 20 minutes or so.

I threw in a handful of spinach at the end of the cooking time.


Served over basmati rice.

It goes wonderfully with the basmati rice - but I do have to say - I would be just as happy eating a bowl of this curry without any rice.



I was in need of some caffeine by this time so I pulled out some tea.






The dogs were eating grass on the walk today - which usually means that they are craving greens. I will have to think up a fun snack for them tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment