Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Breakfast calzones two ways

I pulled out one of the frozen pieces of pizza dough from the freezer last night.

I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it today - but when I woke up I had the urge to experiment with breakfast calzones.

Egg, apple and Parmesan calzone.

First I rolled out the dough.

Rolled out pizza dough and chopped apples.

Apples roughly chopped.


Thick shavings of Parmesan.
I cracked a raw egg over this - but I wasn't able to take a picture since the egg started to slide around.

Note to self: Make a well for the egg to sit in next time.


Then I made a calzone with apple and seasoned pork.

I sauteed up some ground pork (about 1 cup raw ground pork) over medium-high heat with a little peanut oil. 

While the pork was cooking, I mixed together in a small bowl 1 Tbsp. of soy sauce, 1/8 tsp. of chili paste, 1/2 Tbsp. of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of chicken broth.

When the pork was lightly browned I added in the sauce mixture to the pan and turned the heat to low. I mixed 1 Tbsp. of flour with some water and added that to the pan to thicken the sauce.

Just like with the first calzone, I put in a layer of apples on the bottom.


Apples chopped fine.

I did chop the apples fine for this one. The first calzone was hard to roll because the apple pieces were too big.




Seasoned pork over a bed of apples.





Each calzone got brushed with an egg wash.


 They both went into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.


Apple and seasoned pork calzone.



The apple and pork calzone turned out wonderful. It tasted a bit like one of those steamed buns with barbecued pork - only less sweet. Yummy!



Next time I think I would increase the chili paste to 1/2 a tsp.


The egg, apple and Parmesan calzone turned out very interesting.


A very lumpy looking calzone!




You can see the egg starting to ooze out the top.




The egg was a bit overcooked - I think I would pull it out at after 10 - 15 min. next time.

This ended up tasting like a cross between a McDonald's apple pie and an egg McMuffin. A very surprising taste combination.


The crust was very flaky.


So, all in all, not a bad result from my breakfast calzone experiment - but it still needs some tweaking.







1 comment: