Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Savory pancakes

Oh, my! - what a way to start the day...


Savory pancakes.
As per usual, I woke up and stared into my refrigerator to figure out what to have for breakfast.

And because I don't keep a big stock of groceries I had this to work with:

- Steamed broccoli left over from last night's dinner.
- Some AP flour.
- 1 egg.
- The package of cherry tomatoes I am trying to work through.


My first thought? I need coffee. My second thought? Savory pancakes!

So, I walked down the street and got the needed supplies:


Coffee and milk.

I needed time for the caffeine to kick in so I started with caremelizing some onions.

The onions went into a pan on low heat until they were soft and slightly brown.
Then I mixed some flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1 egg, milk, the chopped steamed broccoli and the tomatoes (for specific amounts see recipe below).

You will need to adjust the amount of milk depending on how liquid you like your batter - I kept mine fairly thick and added in 3 Tbsp. of milk.

An adorable tomato peeking out.
 
Spoon batter into a saute pan on medium to medium high heat (just use the setting you use to cook regular pancakes).

When the first side shows just a hint of brown on the edges, flip the pancake.

A crumble of blue cheese on top.

These turned out halfway between a crepe and a pancake. The caramelized onions added a hint of sweetness without any added sugar. The broccoli added nice texture and occasionally getting a burst of tomato flavor? Amazing!


I also ate the orange you see in the background.

Hot sauce would also work as a good condiment for these babies.

Savory pancakes

Serves 1 (makes 4 -6 small sized pancakes)

Ingredients:

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup of AP flour

1/8 teaspoon of baking powder


 3 Tbsp. of whole milk

1 pinch of salt

1/4 onion, chopped

Cracked black pepper to taste

1/2 cup of steamed broccoli, chopped

1/4 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved

Crumbled blue cheese for garnish

1 teaspoon of olive oil (for sauteing) 

Directions:

Chop the onion and add into a saute pan on low heat with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil (use more if your pan is not well seasoned). Let the onions cook until they are very soft and beginning to brown. Take them off the heat and set aside.

Combine the egg, flour, baking powder, salt, milk and black pepper. Stir in the cooked onions, chopped broccoli and halved cherry tomatoes.

Put the batter in the fridge for about 20 minutes to let the batter set up (feel free to omit this step).

Heat a saute pan on med to med high heat with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Drop batter into pan and flip when the edges of the pancake start to turn brown. The pancake is ready to plate when both sides are brown.

Garnish with blue cheese or hot sauce.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment