Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Breakfast Salmon Cakes

The morning recipe started with this beauty:

Pan seared salmon.
I then gathered a random mix of ingredients.

Salmon, dried chopped onions (re-hydrated), grits and popcorn.
I would recommend using yellow onions rather than doing that re-hydration trick but since I was out of onions - I just made do.

I mixed together salmon (crumbled into pieces), Tofutti sour cream, cooked grits, garlic powder, salt, Worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, chives and green onion.

The popcorn? An ill conceived idea.


These salmon cakes turned out great. Because I didn't use egg in this recipe - I didn't have to worry about the patty cooking through. This resulted in a crispy outside but a very moist inside.





I made a lemon chive yogurt dipping sauce to go with the cakes.



But I didn't do any dipping I just added a dollop on top.


I tried a new tea today:



But, unfortunately, it turned out to be very bitter :-(


And I didn't forget the dogs. The food items they found interesting today?

The salmon - 



The yogurt dip - 



But since the salmon cakes contained onion - the dogs did not get any of those.


They did enjoy this - 


Crispy salmon skin on seasoned nori with wedge of salmon on top.






Two big thumbs up from the dogs on this snack idea :-)




Breakfast Salmon Cakes

Serves 1

Ingredients: 

1/3 lb. of salmon - pan seared and crumbled into pieces

1 Tbsp. of Tofutti sour cream

1 Tbsp. of cooked grits

1 Tbsp. of chopped green onion 


2 tsp. of chopped chives

1 1/2 tsp. of yellow onion


1/4 tsp. of soy sauce


1/4 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce

1/8 tsp. of sweet paprika

1/8 tsp. of powdered garlic

1 pinch of salt


Black pepper to taste


1 tsp. of coconut oil


Directions:

Combine the salmon, sour cream, grits, green onion, chives, onion, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for a few minutes (this will make forming the patties easier). 

Heat a saute pan on medium heat. Add in the coconut oil (you can really use any oil here).

Take the salmon mixture out of the refrigerator and form into patties (about 1 1/2 Tbsp. of mixture per cake. Place the formed cake in the hot pan. Cook on each side until nicely browned. Serve with your favorite yogurt sauce.



Lemon chive yogurt dipping sauce 

2 Tbsp. of greek yogurt

1 tsp. of chopped chives

1/8 tsp. of lemon juice

1 pinch of salt

Combine all of the ingredients and serve.  
  

2 comments:

  1. My mom and I always get crab cakes when I'm home visiting so salmon cakes sound even better- it's my all time favorite fish! (to eat haha ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crab cakes too - But I only like them with fresh crab meat not canned so I usually only get them out at restaurants.

    ReplyDelete