Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

At first I was like...Then I was like...

This morning:

At first I was like...I want apple and plum quinoa!

This is what I had on hand:



What is missing in that picture? The plum!! Then it turned into cinnamon and apple quinoa.

The apples were already chopped and simmering away in 1 cup of water with 1/4 cup of brown sugar when I realized what I really wanted -

And then I was like...I want onion and apple quinoa!

I pulled the apples off the stove when I had this epiphany.

I drained them and set them aside while I chopped up the onion.



Cook 1/2 cup of quinoa according the the package directions (basically it is a 2:1 ratio - 1cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water).

I love how pretty quinoa looks - cooked or uncooked.



The onions went into a pan coated with olive oil spray. I cooked them on low heat for 15 min - but you probably want to cook them for 20 so they are really soft.

Then add in the chopped apples and at this point I added a pinch of sage. Cook for another 5 - 10 minutes depending on how soft you want the apples.


Plate the dish starting with the quinoa.



Then ladle on the onions and apples.


This turned out incredible! I left the apples a tiny bit crunchy and the burst of sweetness with the savory (but slightly sweet) taste of the onions and the tiny bit of sage? Delicious :-)

A dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream would be great on top.

Oh, and the drink.

Strong coffee with soy milk.
I am going to prep my laptop for blogging while I am away this weekend. 

Wish me luck in doing a wipe and reinstall of Windows 7 - Yikes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment