Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Carrot soup

Easy digestion was the key to lunch today.

Celery, carrot, ginger and chicken broth.

I put 2 cups of the reduced sodium chicken broth in a sauce pan and brought the liquid to a boil.

Next, I peeled and chopped the carrots. I also peeled the celery to eliminate some of the long fibers and make it easier to digest.

I included two hunks of ginger which I left whole.


One pinch of tumeric went in and a pinch of dried parsley.

The pot simmered for about 20 minutes - until the carrot was tender.

The pan came off the heat and I let the soup cool down for a bit. Then I broke out the immersion blender (don't forget to remove the hunks of ginger before blending).

Carrot ginger soup.
The soup turned out a little saltier than I wanted - I think I would add only 1 cup of chicken broth (or vegetable broth) and 1 cup of water next time.



Carrot Ginger Soup

Serves 1

Ingredients:

3 carrots, chopped.

2 pieces of ginger

1 stalk of celery, chopped

2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock

1 pinch of dried parsley

1 pinch of tumeric
 
Directions:

Put the 2 cups of chicken broth into a sauce pan over medium heat. When the liquid begins to boil add in the ginger, carrots, celery, parsley and tumeric.

Turn the heat to low and simmer the soup for 20 minutes. When the carrots are fork tender, pull out the pieces of ginger. Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. 

Use and immersion blender to puree the soup. You can also use a blender to puree the soup - just be careful to not overfill the blender as this may cause splashing.

Enjoy!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment