Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chicken salad with coconut and apples

I have been craving a chicken salad sandwich lately.

This morning I was thinking about it and realized all of the recipes I could think of were too high in fat and/or had dairy which does not fit into my current eating plan.

Since I didn't feel like cereal or other traditional breakfast fare I made the chicken salad sandwich for breakfast.




I started by simmering cubed pieces of chicken breast in a bath of lite coconut milk, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, powdered garlic and some chopped fresh cilantro.


No amounts provided because this is a recipe in progress and this is just the first attempt.


I let the chicken simmer until it was cooked through and then I chopped it into small pieces.




And 1/2 of an apple.






All mixed together.




Then I toasted up a couple of the sandwich thins and piled the chicken mixture on top. 


I was going to eat this like a regular sandwich but I ended up with more filling than expected so it became two open faced sandwiches.



There was still some braising/stewing liquid in the saute pan so I whisked it smooth and spooned it over the filling.




I wish the sauce had turned out a lighter color - more like a traditional chicken salad sauce but it still tasted great.


And I also had a non-traditional breakfast drink - I made hot tea and then later added some lemonade.





I am off to (hopefully) have a very non-traditional day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment