Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Almost there

Seasoned black beans over rice.

It is good to know I am not alone in my cleaning hysteria.

This morning, while I was making a billion trips to the dumpster, I kept passing my neighbors. It turns out that 3 of them stayed home today to finish clearing their patios and they were all frantic. Panic is always more fun practiced en masse.

It would be easier if we could leave some stuff on the patio but since they need to re-pour the concrete, everything has to be removed. I am sure you were desperate to know that.

I stopped at lunchtime for some sustenance. I had these ingredients on hand:

Garlic, onion, black beans and chopped tomatoes.

I also had a half a packet of this spice mix:


In a deep skillet I added 1/4 chopped yellow onion and 2 cloves of chopped garlic with some olive oil on medium heat.

After the onions started to soften, I added in the garlic and 2 teaspoons of the spice packet. 

Then I added 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed and 1 1/2 cups of the chopped tomatoes. I also shredded one carrot and added that along with 1 cup of water into the skillet. While I let that simmer I put 1 cup of rice in a sauce pan to simmer.

I think it turned out well :-)





My lunch portion was heavy on the spiced black beans and light on the rice. The portion pictured above is one I made to photograph. It just looked better with more rice:-)

*Had to pause for a bit - it started to rain and I had to scramble to get the couple of boxes I have left in under the overhang*

Since the beans turned out so well I am including the recipe.


Spicy black beans


Ingredients: 

1 15oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed.
1 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes
1  cup of water
2 Tbsp. of nutritional yeast
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. of chili spice mix
2 tsp. of Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1/4 tsp. of oregano
1 carrot, shredded
2 tsp. of olive oil


Directions:

Add the olive oil to a pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onion to the pan and let it cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Toss in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. 

Next the black beans go into the skillet along with the tomatoes, chili spice mix, oregano, Rotel tomatoes and chilies, the shredded carrot, nutritional yeast and the water.

Let this simmer for at least 20 minutes so that the flavors marry together. Keep an eye on the pan and add more water if the mixture is starting to look dry. 

Serve over cooked rice (white or brown - your choice) with some sour cream or shredded cheese - or both!

Enjoy! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment