Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Breakfast bruschetta

Breakfast bruschetta.


Day one of the construction went OK. It did throw a wrench in my plans when I realized the water was going to be shut off all day. But I muddled through.

In the afternoon my friend was nice enough to invite us over to hang out so we could get a break from the noise.

Connor is in the foreground and the ever mellow Scout is sleeping in the background.

This morning I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep (I am sure I am a bit anxious about how today will work out) - so I got up and did some more cleaning.

Unfortunately, when I went to take photos of my breakfast I discovered that they had re-installed the patio blinds all wonky and they aren't working anymore, le sigh.

But that didn't stop me from enjoying my breakfast - I just moved everything out to the patio to take pictures.

This photo was taken at 5:45 am.

The bruschetta was fast and easy. I cut a baguette in half lengthwise and lightly brushed it with olive oil. Then both halves went into a skillet over medium heat.

While the bread browned, I chopped up one yellow tomato and one red and tossed them in a bowl along with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, a dash of salt, a dash of black pepper and thinly sliced basil.

When the bread was nice and crisp, I plated it and let it cool for a bit before I rubbed it with a clove of garlic. Then a generous heaping of the tomato mixture went on top.

This is wonderfully messy to eat and the sweetness of the tomatoes along with the fresh bite of the basil? Heaven :-)



Wish me a day of smooth sailing or at least smooth construction...

4 comments:

  1. That looks tasty. I wouldn't think to eat that for breakfast, but when tomatoes are in season, I bet it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @jen @ taste life

    The only time I have this for breakfast is when I find really fresh and ripe tomatoes. Then it is like eating tomato jam - MMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is amazing! Would love to have bruschetta for breakfast, don't know why I never thought of it before!
    :)

    ReplyDelete