Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tomato sandwich with arugula and gruyere



What do you do with a rock hard baguette? Yeah, I wasn't sure either.

So, my brilliant mind came up with this idea:
Turn on the oven to 350 - let it come up to temperature and then turn it off. Douse the rock hard bread with water and place on cookie sheet and stick it in the oven.
A pretty idiotic idea - I grant you that. But the amazing thing? It worked!!

After 10 minutes of sitting in the warm oven it came out soft and fragrant.

Next came the tomatoes:



I cut them in thick slices.

Next I dressed some arugula with some balsamic vinegar and piled it on the bread.



Then the tomato slices went into a skillet on medium heat with a little olive oil. I was planning on topping them with Parmesan but I only realized AFTER I grated the cheese that I had grabbed the Gruyere instead of the Parmesan.

I cooked the tomatoes on one side until they started to release some of their juice and then I flipped them and topped them with the grated cheese.


I sprinkled a bit of dried oregano and black pepper on top.

This was yummy but not as delicious as the breakfast bruschettas. Oh, well, you can't win them all.

 And something I have been enjoying in the mornings?

1/2 orange juice and 1/2 water


Happy Saturday everyone!

1 comment: