Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

I ate the whole thing

Split pea soup.

I spent most of the day on Saturday working on my split pea soup recipe. 

I would like to say that I ate one bowl and put the rest in the freezer for future meals. 


But, that isn't exactly what happened. 


I finished making the soup on Saturday afternoon and by Sunday night it was all gone.




Yup, I ate it all. 



But since it is a soup that contains barely any fat and is packed with goodness, the fact that I ate it for almost every meal for the last two days is not such a horrible thing.


Really...


Split Pea Soup

Ingredients:

2 cups of split peas
6 cups of chicken stock
2 Tbsp. of dried onion (you can find this in the spice aisle)
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
1/4 tsp. of dried thyme
1/8 tsp. of cumin
1/2 tsp. of olive oil
cracked black pepper to taste


Instructions:

Add the split peas and the chicken stock into a large dutch oven over high heat. When the split peas begin to boil, turn the heat down to low and let the simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. 

Then add in the onion, celery, carrot, garlic powder, thyme, cumin, olive oil and pepper. Give the split peas a stir. If they are looking a bit dry, feel free to add in water at this point. 

Let the soup simmer for 2 - 3 hours, checking occasionally to stir or to add more water as needed.

When the peas have broken down and are tender the soup is ready to eat. Keep in mind the longer you allow this soup to simmer, the richer the flavor will be.

I recommend serving  the soup with some shredded Parmesan and lots of cracked black pepper.

Enjoy!


They are shutting off the water today in order to check the water main. 


So I will be eating out the rest of the day!!

Happy Monday everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I lovee split pea soup! The first time I ever had it was from Au Bon Pain and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pea soup is probably my favorite soup. Plus it's super easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I do the same thing when I make the yellow split pea soup with curry..very similar recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are certainly worse things to eat for two whole day! This soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever had split pea soup...yours looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete