Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

My favorite breakfast bowl (vegan)

I wish hotels would include this breakfast bowl on the room service menu.

 
Vegan breakfast bowl with vegan ranch dressing.


This bowl is also one of my favorite ways of including a vegan meal into my weekly diet.

The best thing about this bowl is the vegan ranch dressing that gets drizzled over black beans. 

When you make this dressing you will be licking the bowl and using your fingers to get up every last drop.

Yes, it is that good.

But back to the bowl:

Start with a layer of chopped romaine lettuce.

A layer of brown rice and a layer of black beans.


And here comes the star of the show:


See there? Off to the left? That is a jar of vegan ranch dressing.

And because it's Friday I won't make you wait till the end of the page for the recipe. (I slightly modified a recipe I found here.)

Vegan Ranch Dressing


Ingredients:

1/2 cup of Vegenaise

1/4 tsp. of onion powder


1/4 tsp. of garlic powder


1/4 tsp. of black pepper


1 tsp. of flat leaf parley, chopped fine


1/4 cup of unsweetened soymilk

Instructions:

Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator. 

Enjoy!

And once again back to the bowl:

A healthy drizzle of the vegan ranch dressing.

Lastly, I top the bowl with some diced avocado and some salsa.





But, of course I can't let the bowl sit like that.




All mixed up and ready to eat!


What I like most about this bowl (other than the dressing) is the fact that in one bowl I get a nice hit of protein from the black beans, some healthy carbs from the rice, a dose of greens AND some healthy fats from the avocado.

A perfect way to start the day IMO.

Even if you are not a fan of a black bean/rice/salad bowl for breakfast, you should make the vegan ranch dressing as soon as possible. 

If you are a ranch dressing lover like me, you will have a very hard time not chugging this dressing straight from the bowl.

And be sure to use fresh, flat leaf parsley because I think that one ingredient was the key to dressing.

Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment: