Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Spicy and crispy sweet potatoes with tzatziki

This morning they are working right outside the door again so I needed something soothing to do today. I know - cooking!

Spicy and crispy sweet potatoes with tzatziki.


This dish was sublime. The soothing coolness of the yogurt and cucumber calmed me down - the spiciness and sweetness of the potato - woke me up. Heaven!


First I cut up the sweet potatoes:




And put them into the steamer. This morning mine cooked for 7 minutes (just until they were almost done).

Then I sprinkled one side of the potato with paprika, salt, black pepper and the tiniest shake of chili powder. As usual the seasonings should be done to taste - I love paprika so I was generous with it.

They went into the over under the broiler (on Hi) and when the started to brown, I flipped them and seasoned the other side (omitting the salt and chili pepper because I didn't want them too salty or too spicy) and let them cook for another 3 minutes. But every oven is different - just keep an eye on them and pull them out when they look pretty.

Then I made a simplified tzatziki sauce. 

Cucumber, Greek yogurt and Bulgarian yogurt.
I chopped about 3/4 of a cup of cucumber and added in 1 Tbsp. of the Greek yogurt and 1 Tbsp. of the Bulgarian yogurt. The Bulgarian yogurt is very lemony so that substituted for lemon juice.




Dill is usually added to this dish, but since I didn't have any on hand I added in dried parsley - about 1/2 a Tbsp.


Of, course this dish could easily be made as an appetizer - just serve the tzatziki and the potato disks on a separate plate and let your guests combine them as they will/want.


And add in the fact that the potatoes were steamed then put under the broiler to crisp up - very little oil was involved.


I hope everyone is having a great Friday!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I have never seen potatoes cooked this way, I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete