Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Breakfast frittata for one

Buffalo breakfast frittata for one.
I have been wanting to try cooking something with the ground bison I had in the fridge but I couldn't seem to come up with a recipe other than burgers.

But this morning it hit me, why not make a frittata?

What I like about the ground bison is that it is so lean I don't have to do any of the draining off of excess fat after I brown the meat. 

I started with some finely chopped raw broccoli and some flat leaf parsley.



I browned the meat in a skillet and seasoned it well. Then I mixed together the browned bison meat with the broccoli, parsley, 1 whole egg and 1 egg white and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.

Here it is hot out of the oven:







I will give you the recipe for this one. I think this is a great way to have a protein packed breakfast and still include a bit of the greens.







Bison Breakfast Frittata

Serves 1

Ingredients: 

1/2 cup of ground bison, browned

1/2 cup of chopped broccoli

1/4 cup of shredded cheese (any kind is fine)

1 Tbsp. of flat leaf parsley, chopped

1 whole egg

1 egg white

1 Tbsp. of noodle soup base (can be found in Asian specialty stores)

1/2 tsp. of coconut oil

1/8 tsp. of garlic powder

cracked black pepper to taste

Instructions:

Put a skillet on med-high heat, add in the coconut oil and then the ground bison. Add in the garlic powder and the noodle soup base (you can substitute with any type of stock) and black pepper. Cook until the meat is cooked through and browned.

Chop the broccoli and parsley. In a bowl whisk together the one whole egg and egg white. Stir in the cooled meat, cheese, parsley and the broccoli. Pour the mixture into an oven safe dish and cook in a 400 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

*Note* This tasted fine but was a bit lacking in flavor - I would suggest cooking some onions and garlic in the skillet before adding in the meat.

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! SO creative to add the bison to breakfast--way to think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe! I liked it!!!!!

    Visit my blog and follow me to know a little the brazilian food.

    http://kibe-cozinhandocomamigos.blogspot.com/


    Kiss.

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just did bison burgers the other night. AMAZING! Wait till I tell my husband about this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe some type of cheese (chevre?) as a topping would add some bite and enhance the meaty greens flavor.

    I think cheese makes everything better :)

    ReplyDelete