Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My first souffle!!

5 cheese souffle.
It was a success!! The picture above was shot just when it came out of the oven.

Souffles deflate quickly. I did take other pictures but it started to slump a few seconds later but who cares because I just made my first souffle!



The souffle came out steaming and it was like eating a warm, cheesy/eggy cloud. It tasted incredibly decadent and delicious.

My arm is also going to be very sore from hand whisking the egg whites:-)

I used a combination of this recipe and this recipe.  

And I used a finely shredded cheese mix I had on hand.




I don't have an exact recipe because I was a bit frazzled trying to get everything right.

But the process is essentially three steps.

1) Melt the butter in a pan over med-low heat and sprinkle in the flour. Whisk until combined and it turns a dark yellow. Take the pan off the heat and drizzle in the hot milk and whisk smooth. Then slowly drizzle in 5 whisked egg yolks (room temperature) and stir until everything is smooth. Lastly, add in the cheese and stir gently until combined.


2) Whisk 5 egg whites briskly until they form soft peaks. This step takes a while and your arm will be tired at the end. As long as there are zero bits of yolk in the egg whites you will eventually get soft peaks to form.


3) Very gently fold in the egg whites into the cheese sauce. The folding is very important. You just spent 10 minutes getting your egg whites to peak (if you are a poor shlepp like me and you don't have an automatic mixer) so you don't want to ruin all your hard work at this step.

Then it goes into a 8" casserole/souffle pan and cooks in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Resist the urge to peek because that will make it deflate. This was the hardest part for me.


I only had a 5" round pan so I had left over mixture.


I also cooked an artichoke (boiled in water for 45 minutes) and made some mustard dip (2 Tbsp. of dijon mustard and 1 tsp. of Veganaise).





I love anything that involves dipping into a thick creamy sauce over and over.



I am definitely going to make this again. It was much easier than I thought. 

And next time I will include a recipe :-)

7 comments:

  1. Your food looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Great looking souffle, congrats on your first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome-great job. Only wish I was there to taste it-yum
    flourtrader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Smokes! Look how GOOD that souffle looks. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @WillJogForFood

    Thanks! I was shocked when it turned out so well. Although I would have posted it even if it had turned out to be a failure because that would have been funny :-)

    ReplyDelete