Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Goat cheese and candied walnut salad with apples



OK, my pictures are not the best tonight. This is one of my favorite salads so I was in a bit of a rush to eat it.

I do a billion different versions of this recipe but tonight I adapted a recipe I found here

Since the recipe served four, I scaled it down for one.

You can get the jist of the recipe from the link so I will just tell you the changes I made.


I was incapable of waiting for the sugar to melt for the candied walnuts so I cooked them for just 5 minutes and most of the sugar kind of lumped up and fell off.

This worked out perfectly because they were just barely sweet with a nice hint of heat.


I ran out of balsamic vinegar so I added 1/8 of a cup of balsamic and 1/8 of a cup of Newman's Own Balsamic Viniagrette to the dressing along with 1 shallot, minced, and 1 tsp. of fresh chopped thyme leaves and 1 1/2 tsp. of fresh chopped rosemary.

I didn't have any Panko or cascabel chilis so I just rolled the goat cheese in regular bread crumbs and browned it in a skillet with some olive oil.

Yeah, I think it turned out just fine.


And I added 1/4 of a pink lady apple (chopped up) to the salad.



This salad is always a big hit at potlucks but if you are not a big fan of the taste of rosemary I would reduce it to 1 tsp. in this dish.



1 comment:

  1. oh my! what a fabulous combination of flavors and textures!

    ReplyDelete