Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Early morning farmer's market

Crispy bread with mashed avocado and nectarines.


I am very lucky that I have a family owned produce stand in my neighborhood that is just like having a farmer's market just few blocks away.

It was one of those early mornings and I headed over to the market just as they were opening. It was slightly foggy out and all the guys were loading the fresh fruit and produce into the bins. 

It was a very relaxing and slow way to start the day. They have fresh bread delivered daily and I was there when they unloaded the bread for the day. I rarely have cravings for bread in the morning but with the luscious smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the air, I ended up succumbing to the charms of this lovely thing:




Since this was too much bread for me, I shared it with the dogs. I sliced the mini loaf in half lengthwise and put it in a pan with some olive oil till it was nice and crispy.

The dogs enjoyed a piece of the crispy bread with some peanut butter. I would have a picture of this but Connor was keening at such a high volume in hysterical anticipation that I just gave them their pieces immediately. The boy does love his peanut butter.

Mine looked like this:


This is a simple dish of toasted bread with mashed avocado and some chopped up nectarines. I have made this combination before but it keeps getting better and better as the nectarines are reaching their peak of flavor.



I was doing some research into the dry saute technique. It turns out the cooking technique is essentially deep frying the beans. That would be way too high fat for me so I am going to work on lower fat version of the dish. More on that later.

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like perfection to me. How lucky for you to live down the road from such wonderful fresh produce. That bread looks divine. Great post. Totally buzzing this one. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete