Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pisto Manchego

Pisto Manchego.
I know I have been a bit egg-centric lately. Sorry for that - but at the moment eggs are one of the only protein sources I have in the house.

I really must look into getting a protein powder of some kind.

But back to the recipe of the day - Pisto Manchego. Pisto Manchego is essentially a vegetable stew - usually including tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini with a poached egg on top.



As usual, I didn't have all the ingredients so I just made my own version.

My favorite part of the dish was that the egg came out perfectly cooked.

The whites were well set and the yolk was still just a little bit runny - perfect!

My favorite restaurant, Iberia, used to serve a version of this dish that they called 'Peasant's stew' which I loved but when they closed their second restaurant it never showed up on the menu at the other location - Boo!!((




On the bright side, I now have a nice starter recipe that fills my craving for Peasant's stew :-)
 
Pisto Manchego (Spanish vegetable stew)

Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 cup of canned chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup of  cannelli beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup of stale bread chopped into small cubes
1 green onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 cup of chopped yellow bell pepper
1 tsp of olive oil
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of water
one pinch of oregano
1/2 tsp of dried parsley
2 eggs
1 tsp of Siggis plain yogurt
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
a pinch of paprika for garnish

Instructions:

Put the olive oil into a sauce pan on low heat. Add in the green onions and let cook until translucent. Add in the garlic and let cook for another 2 minutes.

Next, add in the tomatoes, beans, bread, vegetable broth, carrot, yellow bell pepper, water and spices. Turn the heat up to medium and when the pot begins to simmer turn the heat back to low, cover and let cook.

When the vegetables are tender and the mixture begins to get thick, make two wells in the pot and carefully crack an egg into each well.  Cover the pot and cook another 5 minutes. This should result in set whites but with a slightly runny yolk. Adjust this final cooking time depending on how you like your eggs cooked.

When the eggs have set up, pull the pan off the heat and carefully scoop out the eggs and set aside. Spoon the vegetable stew into two bowls and stir in 1/2 of a tsp of Siggis plain yogurt into each bowl. Then gently place an egg on top. Sprinkle with a bit of sweet paprika.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I could see myself eating this as breakfast some mornings. A great way to work in veggies and protein without making an omelette, frittata, or other completely egg based dish. Beautiful presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good.... the egg looks perfectly cooked!!!! I would totally eat this up although I think the hubby would pass it would mean more for me.

    ReplyDelete