I promised you mole soup and here it is.
It was earthy, rich and redolent of chocolate. Not in a sweet way, of course, but in a deep satisfying kind of way.
Oh, yeah, and it had espresso in it.
I know, I am more interested at this point too!
No formal recipe here because I think this soup should be altered to your particular taste.
I will tell you the ingredients (a dish for 1):
- 1/4 cup of canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes with some of the juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
Oh, wait I should stop here and show you the star of the show:
- little less than 1/2 a cup of the mole paste
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 a teaspoon of instant espresso
Put that all into a soup pot and let it get all friendly and comfortable (ie. let it simmer for a good 30 minutes).
Ladle into your favorite bowl, top with some sour cream and cilantro and enjoy!