Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pork chops with apples and onions take 2



Pork chops take two. 

And sorry for the delay in posting - I attempted to do my yoga tape without the AC on and BOOM - got a migraine. 

Which is my own fault since I know one of the triggers for migraines (for me, at least) is getting over heated. Oh, yes, hubris you win again...

I went with a thick cut boneless pork chop for this attempt.



It was cooked 7 min on each side (on med- high heat)  but I ended up needing to cook it a bit more, so 8 - 9 per side (my boneless pork chops were about 1 1/2" thick). Take the pork chop out of the pan and let it rest.

Then I turned the pan down to low and added in the onions and apples. Slice them thick or it won't work. 


I cooked the onions and apples for about 9 minutes, turning them every 3 minutes or so.


I sliced a yukon gold potato into wedges and put it into the pan on medium heat. I turned the wedges as soon as they became brown on each side. 


The marinade adds a nice color to the pork chop and adds a nice bit of twang without taking away from the great mild taste of the pork.




Here is the recipe:


Pan Grilled pork chops with apples, onions and potatoes


Serves 1


Ingredients:

One 1 1/2" boneless pork chop
1 Tbsp. of olive oil
1 Tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. of Mirin
ground black pepper to taste
a pinch of salt
1 yellow onion sliced thick
1 pink lady apple sliced thick
1 yukon gold potato, cut into wedges

Instructions:


Rinse the pork chop and dry with paper towels. Add 3/4 of a Tbsp. of olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, mirin and salt and pepper into a resealable plastic bag and add in the pork chop. Roll the pork chop around until it is well coated in the marinade. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. 1 - 2 hours would be best.

When you are ready to cook, take out the marinated pork chop (leaving it in the bag) and let it come up to room temperature. Put a cast iron skillet or grill pan on med- high heat, add in 1/4 Tbsp. of olive oil and place the pork chop in the pan for 8 -9 minutes (adjust for your pans heat). Flip the pork chop and let cook another 8 - 9 minutes. 

Pull the pork chop off the heat and set it aside to rest. Put the sliced onions and apple into the pan over low heat. Cook for about 9 minutes, turning them every 3 minutes or so. When they are nicely browned on each side, remove from the pan and set aside.


Turn the heat to medium and place the wedges of yukon gold potatoes into the pan. Let them cook for 10 - 12 minutes, turning them as they become brown. 


Plate everything and enjoy!





 

1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks so good. I cannot eat pork often but I might have to splurge on this one. Thanks for sharing. Kim

    ReplyDelete