Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Welcome home meal

I don't know why jet lag is worse when you travel from the east coast to the west coast.

I have been tired beyond belief for the last 3 days.

I did pick up the dogs the second the kennel opened.

And I made them a wonderful beef stew.



We definitely have a routine when I pick them up from the kennel.

They get a rubdown with baby wipes. They are not truly dirty but just a bit dusty from the kennel and they adore the attention.

They moan and groan and twine between my legs and just revel in being home.

Then I start cooking. Usually they are standing at the doorway to the kitchen and are eager to watch my movements as the pots get pulled out and I start chopping ingredients.

But when they get home from the kennel, as soon as I start cooking, they curl up on the bed and sleep soundly. They know a great meal is coming soon.

Yesterday I made beef stew for the dogs and myself.


And yes, they were a bit excited before the cooking began and they lapsed into a coma.




The ingredients in the dogs stew:


1/2 pound of beef (stew meat) browned
1 carrot, chopped
1 cup of frozen collard greens
3 cups of beef stock
1 bay leaf
1 tsp of rosemary
1 cup of sweet potato, chopped
1 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup of shitake mushrooms, chopped
1/8 tsp of Worcestershire sauce


The ingredients for my stew:


1/4 pound of beef (stew meat), browned
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 cup of frozen collard greens
2 cups of beef stock
1 bay leaf
1 whole garlic clove
1/4 of a chopped yellow onion
1/2 tsp of rosemary
1/4 tsp of paprika
1/2 cup of sweet potato, chopped
1/4 cup of frozen peas
1/4 cup of frozen corn
1/4 cup of marinated artichoke hearts, chopped 
1/4 cup of shitake mushrooms, chopped
1/2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce


For the dogs meal I put in a bit of cooked rice -




 And then a generous helping of stew.




And I added a bit of yogurt with some Kyo-Green.




They woke up as soon as I started spooning the stew into their bowls - gobbled it down and went straight back to sleep with many contented groans and sighs.


I enjoyed mine with a bit of yogurt and a sprinkle of parsley.
















Yup, the first home cooked meal you have when you arrive home from a trip is the best:-)

1 comment:

  1. ugh- I did that coast to coast trip a couple times this summer and it's not easy to get back in the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete