Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

A chestnut of a find

While I was out running errands today I stopped in at a specialty market and look what I found -



I love chestnuts and these were on sale!

When I got home I racked my brain for a good use for them. I finally decided on a modified version of a chestnut and mushroom stuffing. But instead of the usual stuffing base, I would use quinoa.

I cooked up a 1/2 cup on quinoa with 1 cup of chicken broth. Into the pot went some thyme, sage and a little bit of garlic. Just before the quinoa finished cooking I added in the chopped chestnuts and mushrooms. 

A little broccoli on the side.



Most nuts are fine for dogs in small amounts (nuts contain phosphorus so in large amounts they can cause kidney problems in dogs). I chopped one chestnut in half and each of the beasties got a small nugget of chestnut goodness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment