Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Bad Bananas and Oats

This morning I woke up to this horrible sight.

 My mother would always make banana bread with over ripe bananas but I had a better idea. I wanted to use these ugly shriveled things but I didn't necessarily want to be the one that eats them...

And so enters the idea of an oat cake. I decided on a savory oat cake for me and some banana/peanut butter oat cakes for the dogs. 

Oats are a great source of manganese, magnesium, zinc and selenium and baked up as a cake/cookie - they are a great way to get a little bit of extra nutrients into the dogs.

I started by cooking Irish oatmeal for 30 minutes and let it cool. Then it was time to add the extras.
 For my version I sauteed 1/4 of a yellow onion in olive oil. After the onion became translucent I added in some garlic, dried basil, sage, thyme and black pepper.


The dogs got this in their mix. 
Bananas, peanut butter and honey.


I did forget to mention that while the oats where cooking I mixed in a tablespoon of coconut butter (which I ordered from Open Sky store at KathEats - thanks Kath!)


Enter the egg
I added about 1/3 of the beaten egg to my mix and the rest to the dogs mix. 


But at this point both mixes were too wet and my mix looked a little lacking - and so enters - 

A bit of panko added to each mixture (if your dog(s) are sensitive to wheat you can substitute potato flour) and I had some fun with the Laughing Cow cheese.

A little surprise hidden in each of my cakes!


I made the dogs cakes a bit smaller since I wanted them to be snack size rather than meal sized.

They went into a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. 


And here they are fresh out of the oven
The dogs banana/peanut butter cakes



My savory and cheesy oat cakes.

The dogs version came out of the oven redolent with the smell of peanut butter - Connor came running like a shot! Abby was more interested in my savory cakes - she is not the crazed peanut butter fiend that Connor is :-)

My cakes were crunchy on the outside and nice and moist on the inside - the nugget of cheese did add a nice touch - but I didn't add any salt into the oats - I think my savory cakes could have used a dash of salt. 


I am having a craving for sushi - and fish is Abby's favorite - I will see what I can come up with for dinner...

0 comments:

Post a Comment