Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Italian wedding soup

Italian wedding soup.

Italian wedding soup - simple easy and satisfying.

What I like most about this soup is that is made in many different ways. Some people add in tomatoes, some drizzle in a cheese and egg mixture to create cheesy egg ribbons.

I picked up a bag of southern greens the other day and knew it would be perfect in the soup.


And I will also show you my favorite unsalted chicken broth:

This is the most full-bodied broth I have been able to find. Many of the others I have tried were more like flavored water - bleh. The Kitchen Basics brand is hearty - just as if I had taken the time to make my own chicken broth.


I put quite a bit of spice in the turkey meatballs and they turned out wonderful! I know a lot of versions of the recipe calls for the meatballs to be browned in a skillet - I didn't bother and I think it turned out great.






Italian wedding soup

Serves 2

Ingredients:

For the meatballs:

1/2 lb of ground turkey
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp of basil
1/2 tsp of oregano
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1/2 tsp of onion powder
1/2 tsp of dried parsley
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes

For the soup:

 4 cups of chicken broth
1/4 tsp of onion powder
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups of the greens of your choice, chopped
1/4 cup of orzo

Instructions:

Combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs and form them into small balls. Place on a plate and keep in the refrigerator until needed.

Add the oil into a sauce pan on medium-low heat and add in the garlic and onion powder. When it becomes fragrant add in the carrots and the broth. Bring everything up to a boil and then add in the orzo and drop in the meatballs. Cover, turn the heat to a high simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, test that the meatballs are cooked through and that the orzo and greens are tender.

Serve immediately and top with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment