Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving and an amazing book


The star of the show - the turkey.
Sorry for the lack of posts in the last few days - family coming into town and such had me all distracted.

And the most wonderfully distracting thing was reading the galley copy of my nephew and his writing partner's combined efforts (known by the name Lex Thomas) debut young adult novel titled Quaranteen.The book is scheduled for publication on April 24, 2012 by Egmont  USA.


My nephew is also an artist - you can check out his art here.

I took the galley of the book home after Thanksgiving dinner and could not put it down.

As in, I nodded off at 4am despite my desperate attempt to fight off sleep because I just had to know what was coming next!

After two hours of sleep, I woke up and kept reading - with a great book I am just that way - can't stop reading it till I get to the end:-)



While I am reveling in a great feeling of joy for my nephew (and his writing partner's) great accomplishment - I will get back to pictures of the Thanksgiving feast:

My contribution to the appetizers: Asparagus with a creme fraiche, lemon and pesto dipping sauce and a mustard, non-fat yogurt and pepper dipping sauce.


The cheese plate


My sister's amazing bruschetta appetizer(you can find the recipe here).
My other sister set a beautiful table (yes, I have three sisters).


The other side dishes:

My contribution to the side dishes - Carrots with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.

And the dish which is always present in any home with any Irish heritage - the mashed potatoes:


There were many other things I did not take pictures of - such as the stuffing - I get over-excited about the stuffing and, yes, it is my favorite.

My sister makes it exactly like my mom did so the huge dish she placed on the table was empty after about 10 minutes.

And this is for the rest of you because y'all know how much I like sweet things:

Mini lemon tarts with sour cream and raspberries.
While I usually don't partake of the sweets - I did try one of these. They are very lemony and tart with the sour cream adding a wonderful creaminess - a winner mini dessert.

What everyone else also enjoyed for dessert:

Starting from the bottom and going clockwise: Chocolate pie, another chocolate pie, ginger bread, pumpkin pie and apple pie.
It was a great Thanksgiving!



4 comments:

  1. wow! looks like you had a perfect thanksgiving meal- everything looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fantastic Thanksgiving meal! How neat to read the book written by your nephew...that much be so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Emily! What a wonderful meal you had and so many people.
    Congrats to your nephew. That's very impressive. Looking forward to reading your book soon. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one serious array of sweets and food. Everything looked amazing. I love a good book...what a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete